Saturday, November 15, 2008

Don't try and get a Taxi if UAE win a football match

I came out of my hotel tonight to be confronted by a huge traffic jam.
The youth of sharjah were celebrating I think UAE winnning a football match (later found it was the U19 ASian Cup !). Plenty of flags, constant horns, fireworks and complete mayhem greeted me. They had managed to convert the roads that go around the Buhiarah Corniche (about 7 miles of 3 lane roads) into a parking lot and were celebrating. The Police were not impressed but could do nothing. 1000s of cars were stranded.
Luckily I persuaded a stressed taxi driver to take me to Dubai airport - he did not want to do it, but his way home was blocked and he wanted to escape the parking lot ! A few extra Dhms and I made my flight in decent time.

No comments: